well you guys, the end has come. these are my final two projects for kcw spring 2013!
both are oliver + s patterns; a swingset tunic for bean, and some sailboat pants for reese. let’s start with the tunic, shall we? it actually has a bit of a backstory. first of all, i love it. LOVE IT. i want one for myself so, so badly. i know the colors don’t scream summer, but the body is a loosely woven brown linen, the bodice is cotton (mustard, of course), and the whole thing is light and airy and lovely. both fabrics are from our recent joanns shopping spree, and i probably would have never spotted the print if i hadn’t seen it on a geranium dress my friend alyssa made her daughter. and, did i mention it’s mustard? love. it’s lined in some muslin with more fabric covered buttons in the back. that little button press might be my favorite thing that happened this week!
anyhow, it’s time for me to come totally clean. the picnic shorts were technically not my first o+s pattern. they were my first *completed* pattern. but, that pattern came in the mail as a hard copy. when i purchased all the patterns, a few of them came digitally, and after buying all that fabric, i just HAD to start cutting. my brain was overflowing with ways to combine all the fabrics and i couldn’t wait. notably, every pattern i’ve used until the picnic shorts were digital, so i’ve got a bit of experience printing them out and piecing them together. i’ll admit that when i did so with the swingset tunic, it looked pretty petite on paper, and cutting it out, and sewing it together. but what do i know?! i didn’t go to the fashion institute of technology (though now i’d really like to…)! really, liesl’s reputation precedes her, so i wasn’t going to object to her master plan.
so i cut not one, but FOUR swingset tunics (not yet appreciating the amount of energy involved in merely prepping these patterns), carefully, painstakingly notching, marking, pinning, dotting, trimming and pressing every little piece. four times. i was so tired of it at the end, i had to just SEW something already. so i made this.
there were red flags here and there, things not matching up quite right, but again, i blamed myself over the pattern. 90% of the way through, it was at a place where i finally could try it on bean. she whimpered as i wrangled it over her head and it practically cut off circulation to her arms. something was obviously not right. of course, i was mortified because i had just bought four of these patterns (and they ain’t cheap!), hearing over and over they’re quite roomy for their size. i had made the tunic in a 3T without measuring my 50th percentile almost 3 year old, but when i measured her, it should have fit no problem. then i was even more horrified, because it seemed most likely that these patterns just wouldn’t fit her well, just like certain brands don’t fit well. you can’t return a digital pattern! nooooooo!
anyhow, after a morning’s worth of pondering, it finally dawned on me that for the first time, the digital pattern had printed at an inappropriate scale. while overall this was a happy discovery, it also meant that quite a bit of fabric and several hours of cutting had been wasted (but out of spite, you can be sure i recut all four of them in the right size!). and then there’s the actual garment. what might i do with this? i imagine it might fit a 1.5-2 year old quite well…does anyone have one of those in need of a new shirt? if so, let me know…we can make this my first giveaway if not, i’m sure it will nicely suit my niece rosa in two years.
so, not liesl’s fault, but you can see why i went into the picnic shorts with a low tolerance for high maintenance. this is also why i saved o+s for the end of the week…i knew i’d have less energy, but i was so irritated by the whole experience, i needed a little break. and, so worth it! because everything since has been turning out quite well, and quite roomy (which is good, since this will probably still fit her in the fall when the colors are more seasonally appropriate). i think i’m still expecting a bit much from these patterns, e.g. every seam will be perfectly finished which does not always happen, and they’re so beautiful i do find myself expending extra energy on them, like blind hemming the entire bodice because i couldn’t bear to just zig zag a raw edge per the instructions. however, for the remaining three i have cut, i may take that recommended route to save time. anyway, bean likes the shirt, and seriously–any pattern recommendations so i can make one in my size??
as for the sailor pants, this is quite a straight forward pattern, made with fabric reese picked off the shelf himself. i saw these pants floating around the blogosphere last fall and bought piping at that time, knowing these pants just couldn’t be made without it. it took me six months to actually get the pattern and make the pants, but i was ready with piping in hand! of course, i’m not very skilled at applying piping, and because of my categorical objection to reading a pattern fully before beginning it, i created extra work and bulk piping in places that would be hidden anyway. and attempting to match the prints at the seams never remotely crossed my mind. between the piping and this being my final kcw project, matching the print would be asking too much of me! but, overall, cute little pants that fit well.
(got some pics of the finishing this time!)
well, i have had a total blast this week, our family survived, and wardrobes have grown. as this post has already become quite lengthy, i will take a day or so to attempt reversing the entropy that has taken over my craft room, and will be back soon to write a recap blog of the week. thank you so much for your support and lovely comments–i have loved reading each and every one of them. it means more to me than you know to feel such a sense of community in this little space. happy sewing! and, don’t forget to claim the tunic if you want it!